What is the Purpose of Interview
The purpose of an interview is to select the best man suited for the job and the organisation. An organisation may have huge assets, efficient processes and systems, and extensive facilities. The proper and successful use of all these entirely lies in the hands of the employees of the organisation. They have to possess the right skills, knowledge and attitude to accomplish the necessary functions and tasks.
So behind the interview the purpose of the organisation is not to have the most knowledgeable OR the most intelligent person, but to have the right person for the job. That is why a candidate who is immensely successful in giving written answers to questions, is not always the best person in doing his job. The increasing trend of interviews substituting for an examination points to this fact.
Dealing With People
Dealing with people is probably the biggest problem one faces irrespective of his work and workplace. And therein lies the success story of an individual or the organisation to which he belongs. Even in purely technical lines only about 15% of an organisation’s financial success is due to its technical knowledge while the remaining 85% is due to skills in man management.
When dealing with people remember that we are not dealing with creatures of logic of a set pattern. We are dealing with creatures of emotions full of prejudices, pride and vanity. It is therefore necessary that while you welcome your critics, do not criticise them as far as possible.
The interview as a method of selection has a distinct advantage. It is the only method which enables the selector to assess directly the personality of the candidate. The direct impression created by an interview helps in forming a true assessment.
The interviewer really wants to test not merely the factual knowledge of the interviewee but his capacity to grasp the significance of things and to grapple with the problems of day-to-day reality. The actions of the inter. viewer are intended to test the reactions of the interviewee.
The UPSC has defined the personality test as follows: “The candidate will be interviewed by a Board who will have before them a record of his career. He will be asked 0 questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for the service(s) for which he has applied by a board of competent and unbiased observers.
The qualities to be judged may be broadly summed up as an assessment of the mental calibre of the candidate when that term is understood to include not only intellectual qualities but also social and moral traits of personality.
Some of the qualities to be judged are mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, balance of judgement, variety and depth of interest, ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity.” P
The purpose of the interview is therefore to help to choose the right people for jobs by :
- Informing applicants about the job
- Predicting which applicants will be willing and able to do the job
- Influencing suitable applicants to accept the post
- Creating a good impression of the organisation to all the applicants
What is the Importance of Interview
A successful interview means a bright career. It can make or break a life. Years of toiling for a long-envisaged goal can be wrecked in one hour of interview, if not handled properly. Since our schools and colleges have failed to teach us aspects of personality, man management and effective conversation, we owe it to ourselves to learn on our own.
If we fail in that, our 15 years’ voyage to graduation ends up in smoke. It is true that almost all of our social life is a series of interviews. But the formal interview is a different ball game. Therefore it is imperative for a candidate to have a clear idea of what the problem is, analyse it, reflect over it from the point of view of the interviewer and disagree respectfully, if need be.
Interview is the oldest and the most need fully used device for selecting personnel at different levels. The employer organisation has an opportunity to verify the facts and traits claimed by the candidate.
It helps the employer to seek additional information from the candidate, which in many cases brings out the suppressed important facts hidden by the interviewee to protect his personal interest. Further, there is an opportunity for the interviewer to make the candidate aware of the policies and objectives of the organisation and demands of the job for which he is being interviewed.
Check Out Other Articles